Pages

Cretans



Today saw the completion of my first set of Cretan archers. The models are of Xyston make and purchased through Brookhurst. This first set is of 8 bases for those armies in FoG that allow up to 8 bases to be used. My MRR list allows for up to 6, but I'm keeping the bigger picture in mind. The next set I do will consist of 12 bases in a different color scheme.

These minis were a real joy to paint. Simple archers yes, but the smoothness of their design, plus an opportunity to play with hues of red, made them that much more enjoyable. I stepped outside my usual Foundry and Vallejo ranges to a nice craft paint called "barn red" in order to find the top color I wanted for their tunics. I painted the models out from the concept of that color; first with the darker undercoats and then with good contrasts in the straps and bags. My general thinking on the color scheme is that they were mercs so they can afford something snazzy, not too snazzy, but better than your average LF.

After painting these, I can't wait until I get to my Antigonid and Classical Indian lists made up mostly of Xyston models.










10 comments:

  1. Those look pretty sweet. Why don't you give us all a treat by showcasing some of the regiments that you have gotten finished. Perhaps a gallery of stuff that you have painted and ready for the battlefield.

    Nice to see you painting away and ignoring my emails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reds are very effective - I've started to use more in the way of artists' acrylics for the main colours. Flavour of the month is Golden Acrylics' Open range, which is relatively new to stock in the art shops in Glasgow. Nice and smooth on 25s/28s; have yet to try it on 15s. Your reds remind of the the Open tube I've just opened - what make of paint do you use?

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul,
    I've pulled various paints from the shelves at craft and department stores, but they all fall under one of 4 brands; Americana, Anitas, Folk Art, and Apple Barrel. The "Barn Red" I used here is from Apple Barrel.

    I just looked up Golden Acrylics' online and they have some nice stuff, I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some. Thanks!

    Jeff

    Kris, email was sent...good to see you're enjoying Florida and not giving the frozen tundra a prompt reply!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your minis look awesome and you gave me some good ideas to paint my own Cretans! Thanks!

    http://misminis.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like these with the darker tunics a lot. I always lean towards lighter colors for tunics of poorer troops, but this color also makes a lot of sense. I think I'll try mixing in more darker hues on my next unit of Cretans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pictures and a nice colour scheme. I have heaps of Xyston to paint, and I like the way you've done these. Good inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
    And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a very smart person!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice wee blog i look forward to seeing more over the next few months . Nice paint job like the reds you've used.
    Cheers
    GAlpy

    ReplyDelete